Race: 2013 Hot Rod Hobbies Shootout
Date: July 19-21 , 2013
Track: Hot Rod Hobbies – Saugus, CA
The 16th annual Hot Rod Shootout, a staple on the California and national level, took place on the weekend of July 19-21, 2013. Jimmy Babcock and the Hot Rod Hobbies crew organized and prepped for another memorable event on the famous high-speed, dry condition raceway. John Piant from JConcepts made the trip out to support the customers and racing team on his typical summer tour. The ambient temperatures fluctuated throughout the weekend, first being hot and then cooled slightly as qualifying started.
Ryan Maifield started things off by taking early TQ runs in the SCT modified Class earning the overall TQ after just 3rd qualifier. Ryan Cavalieri, Ty Tessman and Jared Tebo each took rounds of qualifying in rounds 1 and 2 to setup a showdown for overall TQ in the most sought-after classes. Day 2 brought on tighter competition with Ryan Maifield bringing his best during rounds 3 and 4 to shake up the standings in 4wd, Racing Truck and 2wd modified classes.
Maifield started things off by showing his dominance in the 2wd modified round 3 by turning the fastest time and taking his first buggy TQ. Maifield went on a tear by TQ’ing all 4 classes during round 4 and setting the fastest time of the weekend in 4wd modified and 2wd modified. Maifield turned a blistering 18 laps with his JConcepts equipped, Centro converted B4.2 to take the tie-breaker over teammate Ryan Cavalieri, taking the overall TQ. Cavalieri and Tessman took the Racing Truck and 4wd modified TQ’s respectively.
Sunday morning the main events started promptly at 8:30am. A1 winners were Ryan Cavalieri (2wd SCT modified), Ryan Maifield (4wd modified, Racing Truck and 2wd modified). Nathan Bernal also picked up wins with JConcepts in 17.5 stock buggy and 13.5 Super Stock truck A1 classes. A2 events came around during the afternoon and A2 of SCT modified was a close battle, however Ryan Cavalieri was able to outlast AE teammate Ryan Maifield during the last minute to take the overall championship. 4wd modified A2 went to the Hot Bodies driver Ty Tessman running the B44.1 vehicle. Racing Truck A2 went to Ryan Cavalieri giving the Ryan’s each 1 victory a piece in the class. A2 of 2wd modified went to the smooth driving of Ryan Maifield who locked up the overall championship in the class with 2 straight victories.
A3 mains were very close, Dustin Evans was able to take A3 of 2wd SCT ahead of Ryan Maifield to secure 2nd place overall with the JConcepts equipped TLR 22SCT. 4wd modified A3 was easily one of the best races of the weekend, Ty Tessman ran out front of Ryan Maifield and the 2 drivers throwing down hot lap after hot lap. Maifield looked to make a pass on numerous occasions but there was very little room to overtake. Maifield began trying all points for passing but was only able to make one clean look where Ty came down just for the 2 drivers to tangle. Maifield waited and allowed Ty to re-take the lead which he held just slightly to the finish line. Ty Tessman took 1st place, Ryan Maifield in 2nd with the JConcepts equipped B44.2 and Jared Tebo with the Kyosho vehicle rounding out the top 3.
A3 of modified truck started quickly with the 2 favorites getting a great 1-2 start. Cavalieri led with Maifield just behind his rear bumper for several laps. Maifield made a move over the small double on the right side of the track to take over the lead. Maifield looked supremely confident in the lead however Cavalieri made a driving error and touched Maifield as the 2 drivers drove through a 180 degree turn. The 2 ace AE drivers needed a turn marshal and TLR’s Dakotah Phend took the lead. Maifield dropped the hammer on the JConcepts equipped T4.2 and made up serious time on the youngster from Michigan.
Needing the victory to take the overall championship, Maifield made an uncharacteristic mistake on the back triple jump giving more distance to Dakotah. Cavalieri snuck back by Maifield into 2nd and on the final laps Dakotah had the hammer down. A wheelie for Dakotah coming on the straight-away on the last lap, last turn sent the truck tumbling over the finish line. With Cavalieri and Dakotah each having a 1st and 2nd place finish they tied for the overall victory in score. As the times were combined to score the tie-breaker Ryan Cavalieri was awarded the 1st place by just 2 tenths of a second over 2nd place Dakota Phend. Ryan Maifield rounded out the podium finishing his weekend with a 1st, 2nd and two 3rd place finishes for the pride of Tempe, Arizona.
A3 of 2wd modified belonged to Ryan Cavalieri leading the race from the outset. Ryan finished off the day with a great victory helping him maintain his 2nd overall place in the overall standings. Dakotah Phend took 2nd place and Ty Tessman 3rd. With a 2nd and 3rd place finish Ty Tessman was awarded 3rd place overall.
There was a lot of business going on in the other classes as well with Nathan Bernal winning the 13.5 Super Stock truck and 17.5 buggy classes rolling on JConcepts orange Bar Codes. TLR / JConcepts driver David Jenson took the 8ight e-buggy to the top of the podium taking 1st place in the 1/8th e-buggy class utilizing the JConcepts Bar Codes in orange compound.
The 16th annual Hot Rod Hobbies Shootout is in the books. Thank you to Jimmy Babcock and the Hot Rod Hobbies / JBRL crew on the great track, organized, high-level racing event and continuous support to racers in the Southern California area. Congratulations to all the winners and see you next year.
JConcepts winning products:
· 3016-04 – Bar Codes – orange compound
· 3017-04 – Bar Codes – orange compound
· 3021-04 – Bar Codes – orange compound
· 3030-04 – Bar Codes – orange compound
· 3043-04 – Double Dees – orange compound
· 3044-04 – Bar Codes – orange compound
· 0212 – Finnisher B4.2 body
· 0234 – Finnisher C4.1 body
· 0252 – Finnisher T4.2 body
· 0222 – Hi-Flow SCT body
· 0122 – Illuzion – 6.5″ Hi-Clearance wing
· 0130 – Champion name and number plates
· 2012M – JConcepts matte vehicle stand
· 2037 – Racing Bag – Small (includes plastic inner drawers)
· 2056 – Racing Bag – medium (includes plastic inner drawers)
· 2102 – JConcepts – 1/10th, 1/8th and SCT Striker setup board w/ foam pad
· 2136 – 5 and 10gm stick-on weight set
· 2043M – JConcepts – Advanced Formulated Tire Glue – Medium
· 2075 – 8/32″ locking wheel nut – fits B4, T4, B44 and SC10 – locking / lightweight (blue)
· 2098 – 48 pitch, 81T, SS Machined Spur Gear – fits B4.1, T4.1, B44.1 and SC10
· 2099 – 48 pitch, 84T, SS Machined Spur Gear – fits B4.1, T4.1, B44.1 and SC10
· 2135 – 12mm front clamping hex adaptor for B4.1 – blue anodized aluminum
· 2139 – JConcepts – body clips – black – medium size -12pc.
· 2158 – B4 / T4 / SC10 aluminum steering bell-cranks – blue
· 2159-1 – B4.1 aluminum wing mounts – blue – 2pc
· 2160-1 – JConcepts – Associated battery hold down thumb nut – blue (fits B4.1, T4.1, B44.1 and SC10)
· 2161 – B4.1 +8mm Monroe Carbon Fiber battery brace
· 2165 – Associated Carbon Fiber Hub Tower A, B and C (fits aluminum hub carrier)
· 2167 – 8/32″ thin-pattern locking wheel nut – fits B44 front – locking / lightweight (blue)
· 2169T – Titanium B4 front axle for 12mm hex conversion (requires #9880 AE steering block)
· 2170T – Titanium T4 front axle for the 12mm hex conversion
· 2171T – Titanium SC10 front axle for the 12mm hex conversion
· 2091 – 12mm rear hex adaptor for B4.1, B44.1 – blue anodized aluminum
· 2133 – JConcepts pit mat
· 2192-1 – Reedy Sonic motor timing cover – sensor wire protector – blue
· 2204 – JConcepts radio bag – Futaba 4PK
· 2209 – JConcepts roller bag
· 2225 – B4 generation Fin turnbuckle set – 6pc.
· 3347 – Mono – B4.1 | RB5 – 12mm hex front wheel (white) – 4pc
· 3348 – Mono – B4.1 | B44.1 | RB5 – 12mm hex rear wheel (white) – 4pc
· 3344B – Hazard – SC10 wheel – black – 2pc.
· 3354Y – Mono – T4.1 – 12mm hex F&R wheel – yellow – 4pc.