Race: 2013 Team Associated Top Gun Shootout
Date: July 6-7 , 2013
Track: Outback Raceway – Chico, CA
The legendary racing company Team Associated teamed up with SDRC Raceway in San Diego, California, for the Top Gun Shootout. The large racing course complete with fresh layout and dirt preparation allowed the drivers to stretch the legs on the brushless motors while a huge triple challenged some of the best drivers in the world such as Ryan Cavalieri, Dustin Evans and Steven Hartson.
With current IFMAR World Champion Ryan Cavalieri racing 4 classes it was an opportunity for everyone to take their individual shots at the WC. Cavalieri took down the TQ positions in the 2wd SCT, Racing Truck and 4wd modified classes while TLR / JConcepts driver Dustin Evans topped the prestigious 2wd modified class. Tommy Hinz took the last round and overall TQ in the 17.5 buggy class while Dustin Evan’s TQ’ed the 4×4 SCT class ahead of Mr. 4×4 Short Course Matt Olson.
Main events started with Cavalieri taking quick single A-main victories in the 2wd SCT and Racing Truck modified classes with his Team Associated vehicles. The competition quickly kicked in when the Triple A-main events started in the deeper field classes. Dustin Evans rocked the first 2wd modified A-main with a mistake free run out of the TLR / JConcepts machine taking it cleanly over the competition. Cavalieri struck back winning A2 after an Evans mistake cost him his usual gap up front allowing Ryan to even the score card. A3 was a different start for Evans with a miscue over the triple jump. Cavalieri took advantage after Evans regained his form, it was already too late as the World Champ was checked out. Ryan Cavalieri took first place, Dustin Evans 2nd and Kody Numedahl 3rd.
17.5 2wd buggy had its share of ups and downs after Tommy Hinz dominated A1, the drivers came right back to A2 but with a different result. Jimmy Wright had broken out from the field taking A2 and Tommy was left in the back of the pack with a broken vehicle. A3 began an initial showdown between Tommy Hinz and Jimmy Wright until Tommy was able to show his true speed and pulled away from the field. Tommy, with support from the whole family, had a great A3 taking 1st place overall. Jimmy Wright finished 2nd and JConcepts hometown hero Tyler Hicks in 3rd. Tommy and Tyler both shared the exact same AE / JConcepts package, utilizing Bar Codes in gold compound and Finnisher body and Hi-Clearance wings.
The 4×4 SCT class was possibly the most contested finals at the event. TLR’s Dustin Evans took down the 4×4 SCT class with his brand new TLR SCT-E 2.0 and looked focused on the championship. A1 looked like a repeat of qualifying with Dustin’s smooth and consistent driving prevailing over the hard driving Olson. A2 looked similar, but it was apparent early that traffic would play a factor. Dustin was attempting to finish off the main but as he entered the 2nd to last lap a back marker in the sweeper tagged him, spinning him into the wall which allowed Olson to swoop in and snag the A2 victory setting up an A3 showdown.
A3 lived up to the hype with both Evans and Olson exchanging the lead. As one driver seemed to capitalize on a mistake or issue, the following driver pushed the pace back-up making it a tight race throughout. The highlight of the main was Olson taking a huge risk launching a jump like no one had all weekend. Matt flat landed just a few feet behind Evans which almost appeared to shock Dustin trying to concentrate on his normal racing line. Dustin bobbled allowing Olson into the lead where he looked confident. Dustin appeared to have lost some power with only a minute to go perhaps a sensor wire issue leading to consecutively casing the triple jump allowing Olson to stretch the lead. Matt Olson took the victory with the JConcepts equipped MIP Pro4mance vehicle, Dustin Evans finished 2nd with the JConcepts equipped TLR SCT-E 2.0.
JConcepts would like to extend a thank you to Scott Bergen and entire SDRC family on the hospitality. Congratulations to all the winners and Team Associated on sponsoring a great 2nd annual event.
JConcepts winning products:
· 3016-05 – Bar Codes – gold compound
· 3017-05 – Bar Codes – gold compound
· 3021-05 – Bar Codes – gold compound
· 3044-05 – Bar Codes SCT – gold compound
· 3049-05 – Pressure Points SCT – gold compound
· 0212 – Finnisher B4.2 body
· 0248 – Finnisher B44.2 body
· 0252 – Finnisher T4.2 body
· 0222 – Hi-Flow SCT body
· 0243 – Ford F-250 SCT body
· 0122 – Illuzion – 6.5″ Hi-Clearance wing
· 0130 – Champion name and number plates
· 2012M – JConcepts matte vehicle stand
· 2037 – Racing Bag – Small (includes plastic inner drawers)
· 2056 – Racing Bag – medium (includes plastic inner drawers)
· 2102 – JConcepts – 1/10th, 1/8th and SCT Striker setup board w/ foam pad
· 2136 – 5 and 10gm stick-on weight set
· 2043M – JConcepts – Advanced Formulated Tire Glue – Medium
· 2075 – 8/32″ locking wheel nut – fits B4, T4, B44 and SC10 – locking / lightweight (blue)
· 2098 – 48 pitch, 81T, SS Machined Spur Gear – fits B4.1, T4.1, B44.1 and SC10
· 2099 – 48 pitch, 84T, SS Machined Spur Gear – fits B4.1, T4.1, B44.1 and SC10
· 2135 – 12mm front clamping hex adaptor for B4.1 – blue anodized aluminum
· 2139 – JConcepts – body clips – black – medium size -12pc.
· 2158 – B4 / T4 / SC10 aluminum steering bell-cranks – blue
· 2159-1 – B4.1 aluminum wing mounts – blue – 2pc
· 2160-1 – JConcepts – Associated battery hold down thumb nut – blue (fits B4.1, T4.1, B44.1 and SC10)
· 2161 – B4.1 +8mm Monroe Carbon Fiber battery brace
· 2165 – Associated Carbon Fiber Hub Tower A, B and C (fits aluminum hub carrier)
· 2167 – 8/32″ thin-pattern locking wheel nut – fits B44 front – locking / lightweight (blue)
· 2169T – Titanium B4 front axle for 12mm hex conversion (requires #9880 AE steering block)
· 2170T – Titanium T4 front axle for the 12mm hex conversion
· 2171T – Titanium SC10 front axle for the 12mm hex conversion
· 2091 – 12mm rear hex adaptor for B4.1, B44.1 – blue anodized aluminum
· 2133 – JConcepts pit mat
· 2192-1 – Reedy Sonic motor timing cover – sensor wire protector – blue
· 2203 – JConcepts radio bag – Airtronics M12
· 2225 – B4 generation Fin turnbuckle set – 6pc.
· 2226 – T4 / SC10 generation Fin turnbuckle set – 6pc.
· 2227 – B44 generation Fin turnbuckle set – 6pc.
· 3347 – Mono – B4.1 | RB5 – 12mm hex front wheel (white) – 4pc
· 3348 – Mono – B4.1 | B44.1 | RB5 – 12mm hex rear wheel (white) – 4pc
· 3349 – Mono – B44 – front wheel (white) – 4pc
· 3344B – Hazard – SC10 wheel – black – 2pc.
· 3352B – Hazard – Losi SCT-E 2.0 wheel – 4pc. (black)
· 3352YD – Hazard – Losi SCT-E, 22 SCT wheel dish – 4pc. (yellow)
· 3354 – Mono – T4.1 – 12mm hex F&R wheel – white – 4pc.
· 3201 – And-1 – truck insert
· 3203 – And-1 – 2wd front insert
· 3202-1 – Profiled – 4wd buggy front insert – 2pc
· 3206-3 – Profiled – 2wd buggy rear insert – medium / grooved – 2pc
· 3217-1 – Profiled – SCT insert – medium / grooved – 2pc